Saturday, March 23, 2013

Our Plans for August

This post has been well overdue. We are expecting and the baby is due August! We are both super excited, and nervous. It is scary to think we will be completely responsible for another person. 

We found out December 8th while doing our church's Christmas party. The whole time I had not been feeling great, and the party was stressing me out. I kept thinking I was sick, but when it finally came down to it, I knew something was different. I took a test real quick that morning before we needed to set up for the party, and that is when we found out. Brett was so excited, and I was more in shock. We had talked about trying when Brett certified for his job, but that hadn't happened yet so this baby was definitely a surprise. But not an unwanted one though. When it was finally able to sink in that this was really happening, we were overcome with joy and gratitude that this little spirit was being sent to our home. We waited to tell my parents and Brett's parents until after we heard the babies heart beat. We heard it on January 21st and the baby was very healthy and strong. We had been watching my bosses kids so we had to be sneaky in telling my parents and Brett's parents about the the baby while the kids were not around. This task proved to be difficult, but we managed. We told Brett's parents by having them open a package with a baby shirt in it. Then we texted my parents that night and waited until they figured out what it meant. The picture we texted is below where I am holding my sister's new baby:


We waited a little longer to tell my boss and our siblings, because we wanted to be out of the first trimester.  At 13 weeks we told them using the same picture we told my parents with. Brett's little brothers were so excited because this is the first baby on his side of the family. Then once I was 14 weeks then we started telling others and we announced it with this photo:


So far I have been feeling really good. The first trimester I did get nauseous and could smell everything - which also bugged me. I was fortunate in only throwing up once! I didn't really get morning sickness, but at the same time I wasn't feeling 100% either. What was hard is that I was really tired all the time. I also could not eat foods I normally liked which was weird. My tastes in food started to change and I would get light headed and faint if I tried to do too much. Walking around for too long I would feel like I was going to pass out- it was all a very weird sensation.

Now that I am in my second trimester I feel a lot better! Not as tired, and no nausea at all. I do get headaches now and then. It is usually when I have waited too long to eat or haven't gotten enough sleep.  We find out soon if it is a boy or girl and we can't wait. We have gotten a few things for the baby, but it is overwhelming how much they need and what the best thing to get for them is. So if anyone has any recommendations on helpful books, toys, things that didn't work or worked for you and your baby- please do share. 

I am also planning on continuing working part time after the baby comes (Brett will be home with the baby the days I work)- so if any of you part time working moms have suggestions for that transition I would appreciate it. I am trying to figure out when I will pump at work etc and how this will all work out!

6 comments:

Kim said...

I am so excited for you guys! I am anxious to hear if it is a boy or a girl, too!

As for the working thing-- I love working part-time. It is something I think I will continue to do as I raise my kids because for me, it is really fulfilling and I think I am a better mom versus if I were to stay home all day. It is a bit trickier in the beginning when the baby is small, but totally doable. Just invest in a good pump and your work should be required by law to give you the time you need to pump. That's the really only tricky thing-- if Brett will be home with the baby, you won't have to worry about much else! If you take a maternity leave though, start stocking up on pumped milk too, that will help to have a stockpile when you do go back.

Congrats again- such great news!

Jean said...

YAY AFTON! So excited to welcome Baby Burton!! Woop woop!!! You'll have to share all your working mom secrets once you have them.. haha. :) Love you! Congrats!

Adam & Emily said...

Congrats!! So exciting!!

Andrea said...

Yay! Congratulations!!

Statsmom said...

Hurray! We are so excited for you!

I'm not really a 'working mom' anymore, but I think that the best thing for me was not having too much time to stress about it! Mason came so early, that we just had to figure it out when it happened, a day at a time. I would definitely say take off 3-6 weeks from all work, once the baby is born, though, just so you can have some time to figure things out.

Can't wait to find out the gender!

Wes and Lindsey Cardall said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am sooo happy for you! I don't have any advice cuz I'm just trying to figure it all out too! haha Glad you are feeling well! Good luck with your pregnancy!