Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Trivial Matters

I know I haven't posted in a long time, and I seriously doubt anyone reads this little blog anymore. Yet I want to use this blog as a way to track growth and progress in my little family, and in myself. So this post isn't my usual catch up on what we have been up to. This is more for me to get my thoughts out on a topic I think about a lot, and one that has been on my mind a lot recently. Without trying to be too vague on what is happening in our life, I have been thinking a lot about success.  
When will I finally feel like I have "made it" so to speak, and when will I finally no longer have the desire to have more? When will enough truly be enough? When can I rest and think, gosh I achieved everything I had a desire for? 

The more I think about this topic, I find the answer to be really simple.  If we are working to acquire more, it will never be enough.

"There are two ways to get enough; One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less" G.K  Chesterton

I probably sound crazy writing about this, but I am writing in my little blog to remind myself of this, because I do not want money to ever change who I am as a person. Money is just that, it's money. Having more or less of it, will never make me more or less of a person.  There is not one person who is better then me because of their income, and vice versa. My greatest desire is that my children grow up with a strong testimony in the gospel in the church and live a happy life.

Money is viewed as the ultimate success, yet the more I have of it, it does not make me happier. I want to review my progress in life by less tangible aspects such as clothing, jewelry, cars etc. I would rather review how I have grown by my family, my friendships, health and how I am able to spend my leisure time. 

I am getting to a point in my life where I could care less if people find me or my lifestyle as impressive. I am who I am, and what you see is what you get. Even if my material possessions are not the latest or greatest, that is okay. You know why, because I actually own my cars, my furniture, my education is paid for and that to me is the greatest peace I can have. To not worry and stress over payments and when will the next piece of technology come out, or how can I post this on my feed for people to see. I also think it is important to have this perspective to remember to help those who do need it. Because honestly the less I need and desire, the more I can use my blessings to help others. 

The stress and anxiety of bigger and better is not worth it to me. I would rather spend time with my family in a modest house that is paid for, then to live in a big home furnished with expensive furniture and clothes that I would be too afraid to actually "live" in. People and experience are more important then things. If I have lost that perspective, then I have lost a sense of who I am

Yesterday I had a "bad" day, that was truly laughable. I was upset over such trivial first world problems. As I complained to Brett over how awful my day was, it hit me. If this is what is considered a "bad" day, then you are truly blessed Afton. We have been blessed with health, a cute home, our education and wonderful jobs that allow us both to spend time our beautiful daughter. We never have to worry about clothing, food, money or safety. 

"Sometimes I wonder if all the purchases we make throughout life begin to add up against us in ways we don't fully comprehend. We purchase. We collect. We organize. And while we believe we can successfully manage all of our possessions without intrusion into our lives, I wonder if we've actually sacrificed far more than we realize." Joshua Becker


I do not want to look back on my life and my children miss the purpose or mission of why we are here. It will break my heart if their desire to impress and have it all is more then helping others and living modestly. There is really nothing as impressive as being comfortable in your own skin, in your own situation and living within your means. That is when you are in control of your life. When you do not let your salary, possessions and money own you.  

2 comments:

Anna said...

I've noticed that the more money we have, the harder it is to give away. Strange, isn't it? I really believe when Jesus says, "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."

Shurtliff Family said...

Thanks for your thoughts Afton! I have been thinking a lot along those lines lately as well. We fuss that we have to pay for a new whatever and sheesh... we can comfortably afford it. What a blessing. Thank you for your wisdom and thoughts and a good reminder to us all. We can never get enough... and this life isn't about the latest and greatest, it is about becoming. Plain and simple. Thank you for inspiring me today. Feeling very blessed. :)